I have a concern about treatment according to the six conformations. If we’re asked to suggest a treatment for a progression of fever (eg. shao yang) should we use the points suggested on your notes – Liv14, TH5, GB41? Because we have also been taught that you can go to the division underneath, strengthen it with the Yuan-Source points and push the division out that way. Or are either valid?
If we can suggest to go to the division underneath then which arrangement of divisions should we use? The normal one? The Pivot one? or the shang han lun exit size one? So for Shao Yang should you go to Yang Ming or TaiYin?
They are both valid but you have to clarify which model you are using because it implies the use of different sequences:
- If you are using the Shang Han lun sequence
TaiYang YangMing ShaoYang TaiYin ShaoYin JueYin
you should go with the treatment you reported above or according to the symptoms exhibited by the patient hence a treatment that works on the conformation affected in terms of exit (i.e. ShaoYang is treated mainly using points on TH and GB because the ben and biao are the same but for others it might be different). You can also mention the possibility to work on protecting the next stage of penetration or the yin in general (as we do in Tai Yang stages using St36). In a ShaoYang pattern Liv14 was advised by Zhang Zhong Jing himself.
Also keep in mind that some of the combinations reported in the notes were devised from Herbal prescriptions (points mimicking the energetics of specific herbs)
- If you are using the sequence described in SuWen6
TaiYang ShaoYang YangMing TaiYin ShaoYin JueYin
you will need to explain that you are pushing the pathogen out using the reverse Ko cycle (please note that this applies only to the yang and it is a system thought by vB probably taken from Van Nghi) and tell why you are using certain points.
- If you are using the SuWen6 sequence the confirmation below ShaoYang would be YangMing … in the Shang Han Lun sequence it would be TaiYin (but you should not confuse the two arrangements)
- In class I also mentioned other possibilities for treatment (Sun Si Miao, according to J. Yuen, would have used the jing well and shu stream points on the division affected and according to the severity of the symptoms use the leg channel – less severe – or the hand channel – more severe)
- Whatever you write in your exam paper should be explained coherently.